- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin oilve oil (EVOO)
- 3/4 pound cremini mushrooms, quartered
- 3 medium or 4 small zucchini, cut into small cubes
- 4 shallots, chopped
- 2 large cloves garlic, chopped
- A few sprigs thyme, chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 1 pint grape tomatoes
- 1 32 ounce container (4 cups) vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 3 slices white or wheat bread
- Butter, softened
- 1/4 cup copped tarragon leaves
- 1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Shaved or grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese, for topping
In a large pot, heat the EVOO, 3 turns of the pan, over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms and cook until browned, about 5 minutes. Stir in the zucchini, shallots, garlic and thyme; season with salt and pepper. Add the tomatoes, cover the pot and cook until burst, about 5 minutes. Squash the tomatoes with a wooden spoon. Stir in the stock and hot sauce, bring to a boil and cook until slightly reduced, about 2 minutes.
While the stoup is cooking, toast the bread. Butter the toast liberally, then finely chop. Transfer the breadcrumbs to a bowl and mix in the tarragon and parsley.
Ladle the stoup into shallow bowls and top with the breadcrumbs and lots of cheese.