- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon each dried dill, dried thyme, granulated garlic, granulated onion and ground sumac
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 tablespoons each fresh dill and flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 2 lemons -- 1 juiced (about 1/4 cup), 1 halved
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs or lamb leg or loin, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 red and 1 green mild pepper, such as bell pepper, seeded and cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 onion, cut into bite-size pieces
- Natural olive oil cooking spray
- Salt and pepper
- Vegetable oil, for brushing
- Large pita or other flatbread, or naan
- Chopped romaine lettuce, diced seeded tomatoes and drained and chopped giardiniera (pickled vegetables), for serving
Preheat a grill to medium-high.
In a medium bowl, mix the yogurt, spices, dried and fresh herbs, and lemon juice. Add the meat; toss to coat. Thread the meat onto metal skewers. Thread the peppers and onion onto separate metal skewers.
Spray the peppers and onions with cooking spray; season with salt and pepper. Grill, turning occasionally, until the vegetables are crisp-tender and browned in spots, 10 to 15 minutes.
Brush the grill with vegetable oil. Grill the meat, turning often, until cooked through (for chicken) or medium doneness (for lamb), 12 to 15 minutes. Grill the halved lemon, cut side down, until charred, about 5 minutes. Douse the skewers with the grilled lemon's juice.
Grill the bread until blistered, about 1 minute per side. Slide the meat and vegetables off the skewers into a large bowl; toss together. Make wraps by filling the bread with the grilled meat and vegetables, lettuce, tomatoes and giardiniera.