Recipe by Tara Holland & Renae E. Wilson
Start to finish: 30 minutes
- 4 tbsp. coconut oil
- 2 large shallots, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp. finely chopped peeled fresh ginger
- 2 tsp. ground turmeric
- 3 tbsp. yellow curry paste
- 1 to 1 1/4 lb. sweet potatoes (about 2 large), peeled and cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 cans (13.5 oz. each) unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 tsp. fish sauce
- 1 tbsp. (packed) brown sugar
- 1 1/2 lb. peeled, deveined medium shrimp, with tails
- Chopped fresh cilantro, for garnish
- 4 garlic naan breads, toasted, for serving
- Lime wedges, for serving
1. In a large heavy saucepan, heat the coconut oil over medium. Add the shallots and cook, stirring often, until softened, 5 to 7 minutes.
2. Add the ginger and turmeric and cook, stirring often, until aromatic, about 1 minute. Add the curry paste and stir until fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes. Add the sweet potatoes and stir until coated. Stir in the coconut milk and simmer until the potatoes are tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Add the fish sauce and brown sugar.
3. Add the shrimp to the sauce. Cover and cook until the shrimp are opaque in the centers, 2 to 3 minutes; season with salt and pepper.
4. Garnish with cilantro. Serve with the naan and lime wedges.