Recipe by Marge Perry and David Bonom
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- Makes 11 1/4 cupsServings
- 2 cups dry red wine
- 2 cups low-sodium beef stock
- 1/2 cup tomato paste
- 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
- 2 beef briskets (4 1/2 lbs. each), trimmed
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 4 ribs celery, coarsely chopped
- 4 carrots, coarsely chopped
- 2 medium onions, chopped
1. Preheat the oven to 325°. In a large bowl, whisk the first 4 ingredients.
2. Season the briskets with salt and pepper. In a large Dutch oven or pot, heat the oil over medium-high. Working with one brisket at a time, cook until browned, 5 to 6 minutes per side; transfer to a roasting pan. Add the wine mixture to the Dutch oven and bring to a boil over high heat, scraping up any browned bits, then pour into the roasting pan. Arrange the vegetables around the meat. Cover with foil and transfer to the oven. Cook until fork-tender, turning the briskets halfway through, 3 1/2 to 3 3/4 hours. Let stand 20 minutes before slicing; cool before storing.
And... Freeze!: Portion brisket and pan juices into freezer bags labeled by recipe: 3 cups meat (tacos); 2 1/2 cups meat and 1 1/2 cups juices (stew); 2 cups meat and 1/2 cup juices (brisket melts); 1 1/4 cups meat and 1 cup juices (ramen); 1 1/4 cups meat (salad); 1 1/4 cups meat (ziti). Freeze up to 2 months. Thaw in the fridge overnight or microwave at 50 percent power, about 5 minutes.