- Prep Time
- 1 pound whole wheat penne rigate or gemelli pasta
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, grated
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 28 ounce can diced fire-roasted tomatoes
- Black pepper
- 1 cup grated pecorino-romano cheese
- 4 cups arugula, coarsely chopped
Bring a large pot of water to a boil, salt it, add the pasta and cook until al dente. Drain, reserving a ladleful of the cooking water.
While the pasta is working, in a deep skillet, heat the EVOO, 4 turns of the pan, over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic and crushed red pepper and cook for 5 minutes. Stir in the vinegar, then the tomatoes. Season to taste with salt and black pepper and simmer over low heat for 10 minutes.
Add the pasta and reserved pasta cooking water to the skillet and toss for 1 minute. Add the cheese, then toss in the arugula and cook until wilted, 1 minute longer.