- 4 gala, honeycrisp or golden delicious apples
- 1 cup dark amber maple syrup
- 1/2 cup apple cider
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 cups whole grain pancake/waffle mix, such as Highland Sugarworks Organic Multigrain
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted, plus more for brushing, if needed
- 1 1/2- 2 cups reduced-fat milk
- Freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 1/2 cups shredded extra-sharp white cheddar cheese
- Cooking spray, if needed
Peel, quarter and core the apples, then cut them into chunks. In a large saucepan, combine them with the maple syrup, cider and cinnamon stick and bring to a bubble. Lower the heat a bit and, stirring occasionally, let rapidly reduce into a thick topping while you make the waffles.
Meanwhile, heat a waffle iron to high. Combine the waffle mix with the eggs, melted butter, 1 1/2 cups milk and lots of freshly grated nutmeg (about 1/2 teaspoon). Stir in the cheese. If the mixture gets too thick, stir in a little more milk. If the waffle iron is nonstick, fill it with the batter and cook until crisp. If its not nonstick, spray with cooking spray or brush with more melted butter, then fill and cook the waffles. Top with the maple-apple sauce.