- 2 green tomatoes, chopped
- 1 small bulb fennel, cored and coarsely chopped
- 1 small romaine heart, coarsely chopped
- 1 medium white onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 mild green pepper, such as cubanelle-seeded, ribs removed and coarsely chopped
- 1 thick slice stale bread, crusts removed, torn into pieces
- 1/2 English cucumber, peeled and chopped
- 1/4 cup EVOO, plus more for drizzling
- 1 lemon, juiced (about 3 tbsp.) ro 2 tbsp. white balsamic vinegar
- A handful flat-leaf parsley
- A handful fresh mint
- A few sprigs thyme, leaves stripped
- A few basil leaves, or tarragon sprigs with leaves stripped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 jalapeno or Serrano chile pepper, seeded and chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 18 large shrimp-peeled and deveined, with tails left on
Heat an outdoor grill or a grill pan over medium-high.
In a blender, working in batches if necessary, puree all the ingredients, except for the salt, pepper and shrimp. (You may need to thin it with water.) Season with salt and pepper.
Season the shrimp and grill until opaque in the center and charred in spots, 2 minutes per side. Serve alongside the gazpacho. Garnish the soup with extra chopped herbs and veggies.