- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil plus 2 tsp.
- 2/3 cup water
- 4 cups chopped watermelon
- 1 1/2 cups tequila
- 1 cup orange liqueur (such as Cointreau)
- 1 cup fresh lime juice plus 2 tbsp.
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- Basil sprigs for garnish
Make the Syrup
In a large jar with a tight-fitting lid, vigorously shake sugar, 2 tbsp. basil and water until the sugar dissolves, about 1 minute. Strain into a pitcher.
Mix the Drink
In a food processor, puree watermelon; strain. Add the watermelon juice (about 2 cups), tequila, orange liqueur and 1 cup lime juice to the pitcher; stir.
Rim the Glass
Pour 2 tbsp. lime juice on a plate. Spread 2 tsp. chopped fresh basil and salt on another plate. Dip the rims of 8 glasses into the lime juice, then into the salt and basil.
Fill the glasses with ice, then add the margarita. Garnish with basil sprigs.