- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 6 ounces sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 6 ounce can chunk light tuna packed in water, drained
- 1 celery rib, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 8 slices whole wheat sandwich bread
- 1/4 head iceberg lettuce, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 large tomato, thinly sliced
- 4 small handfuls kettle-style potato chips, plus more for serving
- Pickle spears, for serving
1. Shred the cheese using the large holes on a box grater.
2. Break up the tuna with a fork in a medium bowl. Mix in the celery and mayonnaise. Season with pepper. (You can make the tuna up to 1 day ahead; just cover and refrigerate.)
3. Preheat a waffle iron to the medium-dark setting.
4. Lay the bread slices out on the counter. Sprinkle half of the shredded cheese over half of the bread.
5. Divide the tuna among the cheese-topped bread slices; smooth the tuna into an even layer.
6. Sprinkle the rest of the shredded cheese on top of the tuna and close the sandwiches.
7. Put the sandwiches in the waffle iron. Cook until golden, about 3 minutes.
8. Open up the sandwiches and top each with lettuce, tomato and a handful of chips. Close the sandwiches, cut in half and serve with more chips and the pickle spears.