- 2 tablespoons EVOO
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 14 ounce can White beans (cannellini)
- 2 10 ounce box frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg (eyeball it)
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 14 ounce can pumpkin puree
- 1 cup quick-cooking or instant polenta
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 cup shredded Pecorino Romano
- 1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley (a generous handful)
Heat the 2 tablespoons of EVOO (2 turns of the pan) in a medium nonstick skillet and cook the onion and garlic over medium heat for 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in the white beans and spinach and heat through. Season the beans and spinach with salt, pepper and nutmeg.
In a large saucepan, bring the vegetable stock and butter to a boil and cook the pumpkin and polenta as directed in the main recipe. Stir in the Pecorino Romano cheese when you would add the Manchego. Top the pumpkin polenta with the spinach and beans. Garnish with the chopped parsley and serve.