- 3 cups vegetable stock or chicken stock
- A fat pinch of saffron (24 to 36 threads, about 1 tsp.)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced
- 2 cups short-grain rice
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- Salt and pepper
- 1 box (9 oz.) frozen artichoke hearts, thawed, then halved or quartered
- 3 plum tomatoes (about 9 oz. total) -- halved lengthwise, seeded and sliced lengthwise
- 8 ounces haricots verts (thin green beans) or regular green beans, halved crosswise
- 6 piquillo peppers, drained and sliced, or 1 jar (4 oz.) sliced pimientos, drained
- 1 cup shelled fresh peas or frozen peas, preferably organic, thawed
- 1/2 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 1 lemon, juiced (about 1/4 cup)
- EVOO, for drizzling
- Hot sauce, such as Tabasco, for serving
In a small saucepan, heat the stock and saffron over medium-low to infuse the saffron's flavor and color into the stock.
In a large skillet with a lid, heat the oil, two turns of the pan, over medium to medium-high. Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring often, until softened, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the rice, thyme and paprika; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring often, until the rice is lightly browned, about 3 minutes. Add the saffron stock; cover and simmer 10 minutes. Add the artichokes, tomatoes, green beans and peppers; cover and cook until the rice is tender and the vegetables are heated through, about 5 minutes more. Stir in the peas, increase the heat to high, and cook, uncovered and without stirring, until the rice on the bottom of the pan is crispy, 3 to 4 minutes.
Remove from the heat and top with the parsley, lemon juice and EVOO. Serve with the hot sauce.