- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1 teaspoon granulated onion
- 1 teaspoon ground sage
- Salt and pepper
- 1 1/4- 1 1/2 pounds veal scallops or pork scallops, cut from the tenderloin or loin (12 large, thin medallions)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lemon, halved
- 1/2 pound extra-wide egg noodles
- 3 tablespoons butter, cut into pieces
- 1/2 cup herbs, such as dill, parsley, chives and/or tarragon, finely chopped
- 1/2 pound Little Gem lettuce, leaves separated
Bring a large pot of water to a boil for the egg noodles.
In a shallow bowl, combine the flour, granulated garlic, granulated onion and sage; season with salt and pepper. Dredge the veal in the flour mixture, shaking off any excess. In a large skillet, heat 2 tbsp. oil, two turns of the pan, over medium-high. Working in two batches, cook the veal until golden, about 2 minutes per side. (Add the remaining 1 tbsp. oil for the second batch, if necessary.) Transfer the veal to a platter, douse the veal with the juice of 1/2 lemon and cover to keep warm.
Meanwhile, salt the boiling water, add the noodles and cook to al dente. Drain the noodles; return to the hot pot. Add the butter and herbs; season and toss until the butter melts. Add the Little Gem lettuce and the juice of the remaining 1/2 lemon and toss until the lettuce is barely wilted.
Serve the lettuce and noodles alongside the veal.