Recipe by Janet Taylor McCracken
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 2 bone-in veal chops (1 inch thick, about 3/4 lb. each)
- 1 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 4 tbsp. butter
- 2 large cloves garlic, smashed
- 2 large fresh bay leaves
- 1 bunch radishes with green tops, halved lengthwise
- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
- 1 tbsp. white balsamic vinegar
1. Season the chops generously with salt and pepper. In a large, heavy skillet, heat the oil over medium until it shimmers. Add the chops and cook until browned on the bottom, about 7 minutes. Add 1 tbsp. butter, the garlic and bay leaves. Turn the chops and cook, using a large spoon to baste the chops often with the juices in the skillet, until browned, about 7 minutes for medium. Transfer the chops to 2 plates.
2. Add the radishes to the skillet; season and cook, stirring occasionally, until the radishes are browned in spots and the greens wilt, 5 to 7 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, divide the radishes between the plates.
3. Using a small, sharp knife, scrape the seeds from the vanilla bean into the skillet. Add the vinegar and the remaining 3 tbsp. butter to the skillet. Whisk over medium until the butter browns, 2 to 3 minutes; season. Discard the bay leaves and garlic. Drizzle the sauce over the chops.