- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 3 1/4 cups flour, plus more for dusting
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tbsp. sugar
- 2 1/4 ounce packages rapid-rise yeast
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 egg, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 6 tablespoons butter, at room temperature, plus more for greasing
- 10 cups vegetable oil, for frying
1. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the flour, sugar, yeast and salt. In a pan, warm the milk until it registers 115° on an instant-read thermometer. Transfer to a bowl; whisk in the egg and vanilla. Add the milk mixture and 6 tbsp. butter to the flour mixture; mix on low until blended. Using the dough hook, knead on medium until shiny and tacky, 7 minutes.
2. Butter a large bowl. Add the dough; cover tightly with plastic. Let rise in a warm area until doubled in size, about 45 minutes. Line one baking sheet with parchment; fit another with a wire rack.
3. On a floured work surface, turn out the dough and sprinkle with flour. Pat into a 10-by-12-inch rectangle.
4. In a 6-qt. pot, heat the oil over medium-high until it registers 350° on a deep-fry thermometer. Using a 1 1/2-inch round cutter, cut out rounds; transfer to the parchment-lined sheet.
5. Using a slotted metal spoon, transfer five rounds to the oil. Fry, turning once, until puffed and golden, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer the doughnuts to the rack; repeat with the remaining dough.