Recipe by Alexa Weibel
|Active Time||Total Time||Serves|
4 tbsp. olive oil
1/2 lb. butternut squash, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
1 medium onion, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, chopped
5 tsp. finely chopped fresh rosemary
1 cup wild rice blend
1/4 cup tomato paste
6 cups chicken stock
1 lb. bulk pork sausage
1 cup grated Parmesan
1/4 cup Italian-style dried breadcrumbs
1 tsp. poultry seasoning
2 oz. thinly sliced kale, center stems removed
1. In a Dutch oven or large pot, heat 2 tbsp. oil over medium-high. Add the squash, onion, garlic, and rosemary; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until fragrant, about 3 minutes. Add the rice and tomato paste. Cook, stirring often, until the tomato paste darkens, about 2 minutes.
2. Add the stock and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the rice is almost tender, about 20 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, gently mix the sausage, 1/2 cup Parmesan, the breadcrumbs, poultry seasoning, 2 tsp. salt, and 1 tsp. pepper. Form into 1-inch meatballs (about 20).
4. Add the meatballs to the soup and push until submerged. Cook, stirring often, until the meatballs are cooked through and the rice is tender, about 10 minutes.
5. Add the kale and stir until wilted, about 1 minute. Divide the soup among 4 bowls. Drizzle with the remaining 2 tbsp. oil. Sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 cup Parmesan.