- 2 - 3 tablespoons EVOO
- 1 package ground turkey breast (about 1 1/3 lbs)
- Salt and pepper
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 jalapeno chile pepper, finely chopped (optional)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder (about a palmful)
- 1/2 tablespoon ground cumin (about 1/2 palmful)
- 8 whole-grain tortillas (6-in. each) or hard taco shells
- 1 cup regular or low-fat shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 heart romaine lettuce, shredded
- BLACK BEAN-CORN SALAD:
- 1 tablespoon EVOO
- 1/2 red bell pepper, finely diced
- 1/2 red onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, grated or pasted
- 1 box (10 oz.) frozen corn kernels or 2 to 3 ears fresh corn, kernels removed
- 1 can (15 oz.)black beans, rinsed
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 lime, juiced
- YUM-O! SOUTHWEST RANCH DRESSING
In a large nonstick skillet, heat 2 tbsp. EVOO, 2 turns of the pan, over medium-high heat. Add the ground turkey, season with salt and pepper and cook, breaking up the meat with a wooden spoon or potato masher, until brown all over, 6 to 7 minutes.
Add 1 tbsp. EVOO to the skillet, 1 turn of the pan, if the mixture is dry. Add the onion, garlic and jalapeno and cook for about 3 to 4 minutes. Add the chili powder and cumin and cook for another couple of minutes. If the mixture seems dry, add a couple tbsp. of water to loosen it up. Set aside and keep warm.
While the turkey is cooking, place a medium or large skillet over medium-high heat and add 1 tbsp. EVOO, 1 turn of the pan. Add the bell pepper, onion and garlic and cook until just tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the corn and cook until heated through, 3 to 4 minutes. During the last minute of cooking, add the black beans, 2 scallions and the lime juice and toss to combine. Stir the remaining 1 scallion into the Yum-O dressing; season with pepper.
Fill the whole grain tortillas (or hard taco shells) with the turkey, cheese and lettuce. Drizzle the filling with the Yum-O! dressing. Serve the black bean-corn salad alongside.