- 1 large shallot, grated into paste
- 2 tablespoons aged balsaminc vinegar
- 2 teaspoons acacia honey
- About 1/2 tsp. ground fennel seed or fennel pollen
- Salt and pepper
- 1/4- 1/3 cup EVOO
- 1 small head radicchio, torn or coarsely chopped
- 1 endive, sliced
- 1 heart of romaine, chopped, or 5 to 6 cups coarsely chopped escarole
- 3/4 cup coarsely chopped toasted hazelnuts
- 7 - 8 leaves fresh sage, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 24 jumbo shrimp, deveined, tail on
- 1 lemon, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 small red chile pepper, such as jalapeno or Fresno, finely chopped or thinly sliced, or 1 tsp. crushed red pepper
- 1 teaspoon whole fennel seed
- 1/2 cup dry vermouth or dry white wine
In a large bowl, combine the grated shallot with the vinegar, honey and ground fennel; season with salt and pepper. Whisk in the EVOO; adjust the seasoning. Toss with the radicchio, endive, romaine, nuts and sage; season.
In a large skillet, heat the olive oil, two turns of the pan, over medium-high. When the oil starts to smoke, add the shrimp and lemon and cook until the shrimp are pink at the edges and almost opaque in the center, 4 to 5 minutes. Add the garlic, chile and fennel seed and toss until the shrimp are cooked through, 1 to 2 minutes. Add the vermouth; cook until sauce reduces slightly.
Divide the salad among shallow dishes. Top each serving with 6 shrimp.