- Prep Time
- 1 loaf farmhouse-style bread, cut into 1-inch cubes (4 to 5 cups)
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning (1/3 palmful)
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 4 McIntosh apples, coarsely chopped
- 2 onions, chopped
- 6 ribs celery from the heart, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt and pepper
- 2 pounds rotisserie or leftover chicken or turkey, skin discarded and meat chopped
- 1/3 cup flat-leaf parsley (a generous handful), chopped
- 1 32 ounce container (4 cups) chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons flour
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees . Scatter the bread on a baking sheet and season with the poultry seasoning. Toast in the oven until golden, 10 to 12 minutes. Set aside.
In a large skillet, melt 3 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Add the apples, onions, celery and bay leaf, season with salt and pepper and cook until tender, 7 to 8 minutes. Stir in the chicken, parsley and 2 cups chicken broth and cook until heated through, 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in the bread cubes.
In a small saucepan, melt the remaining 2 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Whisk in the flour for 1 minute, then whisk in the remaining 2 cups chicken broth. Season the gravy with salt and pepper.
Discard the bay leaf. Serve the stuffing in large shallow bowls, topped with the gravy.