- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 28 ounce can peeled tomatoes, coarsely chopped, and their juice
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- 7 6-inch corn tortillas, torn into small pieces
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro (optional)
In a large pot, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the garlic, onion and crushed red pepper and cook over medium heat until the onion is translucent, about 7 minutes. Add the chicken broth and the tomatoes and their juice, bring to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
Add the cumin, salt, lime juice and tortillas and simmer for 2 minutes.
In a blender, puree the soup in batches. Garnish with cilantro and serve.