Recipe by Matt and Ted Lee, authors of The Lee Bros. Simple Fresh Southern
"A 3 1/2-pound chicken is the perfect size. Any larger and it won’t cook through by the time the skin is golden. If that happens, transfer it to a 300° oven to finish." – Matt and Ted Lee
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 3 lbs. skinless chicken thighs
- 1 1/4 cups low-fat buttermilk
- Juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 3 tsp. kosher salt, divided
- 3/4 cup panko
- 4 tsp. fresh thyme
1. Combine buttermilk, lemon juice, lemon zest and 1 tsp. kosher salt. In a resealable plastic bag, soak the chicken thighs in the buttermilk mixture for 30 minutes (or up to 12 hours).
2. Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, combine the panko, thyme and remaining kosher salt. Remove the chicken pieces and coat them evenly with the panko mixture; transfer to a parchment-lined baking sheet and let stand for 15 minutes. Coat the chicken again in the panko mixture.
3. Bake at 425° on a baking sheet fitted with a rack for 30 minutes. Lower the temp to 300°; cook for 25 to 30 minutes. Serve with lemons.
Try our Classic Fried Chicken