- salt and pepper
- 10 - 12 tuscan or black kale leaves, stemmed
- 2 tablespoons EVOO
- 1 pound bulk hot or sweet italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 1/2 cups fresh sheep's - or cow's-milk ricotta
- 1 1/4 cups grated parmigiano-reggiano
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh thyme
- 1 loaf ciabatta bread (14 to 16 inches long) split and sliced crosswise into 4 pieces
- 3/4 pound taleggio or italian fontina sliced
In a large pot, bring a few inches of water to a boil and salt it. Add the kale and boil for 3 minutes. Drain the kale, then plunge it intoa bowl of cold water to stop the cooking. Shake dry and finely chop.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees . In a large skillet, heat 1 tbsp. EVOO, 1 turn of the pan, over medium-high heat. Add the sausage and cook, crumbling, until brown, about 5 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a bowl, combine the ricotta, 1/4 cup parmigiano-reggiano, the remaining 1 tbsp. EVOO and the thyme; season with salt and pepper. Slather the cheese mixture evenly over the 4 bread pieces, then evenly top with the sausage, kale, taleggio (or fontina) and remaining 1 cup parmigiano- reggiano. Bake until golden and bubbly, about 10 minutes.