- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef sirloin
- 1/2 cup beer
- 2 cloves garlic, grated or finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin (about a palmful)
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander (about a palmful)
- 1 tablespoon steak seasoning (about a palmful)
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 red onion, cut into 6 wedges
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro (a generous handful)
- Juice of 1 lime plus 1 teaspoon grated peel
- 8 deli slices pepper jack cheese
- 4 kaiser rolls, preferably cornmealcrusted, split and toasted
- Shredded romaine lettuce
In a large bowl, combine the beef, beer, garlic, chili powder, cumin, coriander, steak seasoning and Worcestershire sauce. Shape into 4 patties.
Preheat the broiler or outdoor grill. If using a broiler, halve and seed the tomatoes and jalapenos before broiling. On a rimmed baking sheet, broil the tomatoes, jalapenos and red onion, turning once, until charred, about 15 minutes. If using an outdoor grill, char the vegetables for 10 minutes; halve and seed the tomatoes and jalapenos.
Chop the charred veggies; transfer to a bowl. Add the cilantro, lime juice and lime peel; season the pico de gallo with salt.
In the broiler or on the grill, cook the burgers over medium-high heat for 5 minutes on each side for medium-rare, melting the cheese over each burger during the last few minutes of cooking.
To serve, layer each roll bottom with lettuce, a burger, some pico de gallo and a roll top.