- Prep Time
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 10 shallots, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 1 pound whole wheat spaghetti
- 1 cup grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- 1/3 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley (a generous handful)
In a large skillet, heat the EVOO, 4 turns of the pan, over medium-low heat. Add the shallots and garlic; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until softened and golden, 20 minutes.
While the shallots are cooking, bring a large pot of water to a boil, salt it, add the spaghetti and cook until al dente. Pour 3 ladlefuls of the pasta cooking water into the cooked shallots and stir. Drain the pasta and add to the shallots. Add the cheese and parsley, season with pepper and toss.