Recipe by Abby Bodiker, Food Stylist at the Rachael Ray show
"The secret to extra-crisp skin is that 10-15 minutes before frying when you let the breaded chicken rest. This also helps ensure that the crust won’t fall off when you bite in!" – Abby Bodiker
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 whole chicken (3 1/2 lbs.), breastbone and backbone removed, cut into 8 pieces
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 tbsp. oyster sauce
- Dash of fish sauce
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 cup rice flour
- 3 cups vegetable oil (or 2 lbs. lard)
- Store-bought Thai chili sauce
1. In a food processor, make a paste of cilantro, garlic cloves, oyster sauce and fish sauce; rub on the chicken. Refrigerate for 4 hours.
2. Combine all-purpose flour, cornstarch, and rice flour. Coat the chicken pieces evenly with the flour mixture; transfer to a parchment-lined baking sheet and let stand for 15 minutes. Coat the chicken again in the flour mixture.
3. Meanwhile, in an extra-large, heavy skillet, heat the oil to 350°. Carefully add the chicken to the pan and partially cover. Lower the heat to medium-low and fry the chicken, turning occasionally, until the crust is gold-brown and the meat is cooked through, 25 to 30 minutes. (Lower the temperature if the chicken is browning too quickly.) Transfer to paper towels to drain; serve hot with Thai chili sauce.
Try our Classic Fried Chicken