Recipe by Mindy Fox
Start to Finish: 40 minutes
- 1 1/2 lb. ground beef (80% lean)
- 1/2 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil, plus 3 cups (loosely packed) whole leaves
- 1 large egg
- 2 tbsp. finely chopped peeled fresh ginger
- 4 tsp. fish sauce
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 2 medium carrots, cut into matchsticks or shredded
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp. lime juice, plus lime wedges for serving
- Cooked white rice, for serving (optional)
1. In a medium bowl, gently mix the beef, breadcrumbs, chopped basil, egg, ginger, fish sauce, and garlic. Using damp hands, form the meat into 24 balls that are 1 1/4 inches in size. Using your palms, flatten the balls into 1-inch-thick disks. Thread the disks onto 8 skewers. (If using bamboo skewers, soak them in warm water for 30 minutes before grilling.)
2. Heat a grill pan over medium-high. Grease the pan. Grill the skewers, turning occasionally, until the meat is cooked through, 9 to 11 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, in another medium bowl, toss the carrots, scallions, lime juice, and basil leaves; season the salad with salt and pepper.
4. Serve the skewers with the salad, lime wedges, and rice (if using).