Recipe by Rachael Ray
- 1 tsp. each (about 1/3 palmful) granulated garlic, granulated onion and ground cumin
- 2 tomatoes on the vine or 3 plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 2 cans (4 oz. each) diced green chiles, well drained
- 4 scallions, whites and greens thinly sliced
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 lb. yellow American cheese, shredded on large side of box grater
- 1 package (8 oz.) shredded yellow cheddar
- Natural olive or vegetable oil cooking spray
- 6 large (10- to 12-inch) flour tortillas
- Garnishes: sour cream, fresh cilantro, pickled jalapeño slices
1. In a small bowl, mix the granulated garlic, granulated onion and ground cumin.
2. In a medium bowl, mix the tomatoes, chiles and scallions; season with salt and pepper. In another medium bowl, mix the cheeses.
3. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium to medium-high. Spray the pan with cooking spray, and cook 1 tortilla until lightly browned, about 30 seconds; turn over. Cover half the tortilla with one-sixth of both the cheese and tomato mixtures, and sprinkle with some of the dried spice combo. Fold the tortilla over, press with a spatula and cook, turning occasionally, until the tortilla is deep golden brown and crispy, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer the quesadilla to a cutting board and cut into 4 wedges. Repeat with the remaining tortillas and filling.
4. Serve the quesadillas, passing the sour cream, cilantro and pickled jalapeño slices.