- 12 slices good-quality smoky bacon, 4 slices finely chopped and 8 left whole
- 1 1/4 pounds 80% lean ground beef
- 3 - 4 tablespoons grated onion
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped or grated
- 2 tablespoons pureed chipotle in adobo sauce
- 2 tablespoons worcestershire sauce
- Salt and pepper
- Vegetable oil or EVOO, for drizzling
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar
- 1 14 ounce can diced tomatoes with green chiles, well drained
Rolls & Toppings
- 4 soft burger rolls, split
- Crisp yellow corn chips
- Chopped onion, tomatoes, cilantro and pickled jalapeno
Arrange the 8 whole bacon slices on a broiler pan and bake at 375 degrees until crisp, 10 to 12 minutes.
Meanwhile, preheat a cast-iron skillet or griddle over medium-high heat. Combine the beef, chopped bacon, grated onion, garlic, chipotle puree and worcestershire; season with salt and pepper. Forme into 4 patties (thinner at the center); drizzle with oil. Grill the burgers for 5 minutes on each side for medium.
Make the queso sauce; in a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Whisk in the flour for 1 minute, then whisk in the milk. Stir in the cheese to melt. Stir in the tomatoes.
Buns & Toppings
Place the burgers on the bun bottoms and top with the queso sauce, criss-crossed bacon strips, corn chips, remaining toppings and bun tops. Serve extra sauce on the side.