- 24 large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Salt and pepper
- 2 shots (6 tbsp.) tequila
- 1 lime, juiced (about 2 tbsp.)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce, such as Tabasco
- 1 package (1 lb.) cured chorizo (I like Gaspar's)
- 3 tomatoes on the vine or plum tomatoes (about 9 oz. total), seeded and chopped
- 1 small yellow or red onion, chopped
- 1 small red or green bell pepper, chopped
- 1/3 English cucumber, chopped
- 2 ribs celery, chopped
- 1 large jalapeno chile, chopped
- EVOO, for drizzling
- 12 corn tortillas
- Chopped romaine, for serving
Preheat a grill or grill pan over medium-high.
In a medium bowl, season the shrimp with salt and pepper; toss with the tequila, lime juice, oil, garlic and hot sauce. Using a knife, score the chorizo casing, if needed. Peel off the casing and slice. Thread the shrimp and chorizo onto skewers. Grill until the shrimp are opaque in the centers and the chorizo is crispy at the edges, 3 to 4 minutes per side.
In another medium bowl, toss the tomatoes, onion, bell pepper, cucumber, celery and jalapeno. Season salsa; drizzle with EVOO.
Char the tortillas on the grill, over an open flame on a gas burner or in a dry, hot pan over high heat.
Fill the tortillas with lettuce, shrimp and chorizo; top with salsa.