Recipe by Sarah Tenaglia
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 cup wild rice
- 8–10 tangerines or mandarins
- 1 tsp. fennel seed
- 1 tbsp. plus 1 1/2 tsp. sherry vinegar
- 2 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup EVOO
- 1/4 cup finely chopped shallot
- 1 medium bulb fennel, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 2 cups arugula
- 1/2 cup pecans, toasted
1. Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil. Salt the water and cook the rice, stirring occasionally, until grains are just tender but not split, about 40 minutes. Drain well; let cool.
2. Grate 2 tsp. zest from 1 or 2 tangerines. Squeeze 2 tbsp. juice from 1 or 2 tangerines. Peel all the remaining tangerines and slice each crosswise into 3 rounds. Wrap the fennel seed in heavy-duty foil or place in a ziptop freezer bag; crush with a rolling pin.
3. In a large bowl, whisk the tangerine juice and zest with the vinegar, mustard and crushed fennel seed; whisk in the EVOO. Stir in the shallot, and season the dressing generously with salt and pepper. Toss the dressing with the rice, fennel, arugula, pecans and sliced tangerines.