- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 4 pounds chicken thighs
- 2 tablespoons adobo seasoning, such as McCormick's
- 2 1/2 cups apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 14 ounce package frozen tamarind fruit pulp, such as Goya, thawed
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3 whole cloves
- Grated peel of 1 orange
- Chopped cilantro, for sprinkling
In a large bowl, toss the chicken with the adobo seasoning. Pour in 2 cups vinegar and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or up to 4 hours.
Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 375 degrees . In a small saucepan, combine the brown sugar and remaining 1/2 cup vinegar over medium heat and cook, stirring occasionally, until thick and syrupy, about 5 minutes. Whisk in the tamarind, Worcestershire sauce and cloves and cook until thick enough to coat the back of a spoon, about 15 minutes. Stir in the orange peel and season with salt.
Drain the chicken. In the same bowl, stir in two-thirds of the tamarind glaze to coat. Transfer the chicken to a rack set over a rimmed baking sheet. Bake for 30 minutes, then brush with more glaze and bake until the juices run clear when pierced with a knife, about 15 minutes more. Sprinkle with the cilantro before serving.