- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1 head red cabbage (about 2 1/2 lbs), cored and chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 2 small pears, cored and chopped
- 1 cup pure fruit juice, such as cranberry
- 1/4 cup seedless raspberry preserves
- 2 tablespoons instant tapioca
- 1/4 cup cinder vinegar
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley or dill
- salt and pepper
HIT THE HEAT
In a large nonreactive pot fitted with a lid, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened and browned, about 8 minutes. Stir in the cabbage and cook, stirring frequently, until softened and browned on the edges, about 5 minutes.
Stir in the pears, fruit juice, raspberry preserves and tapioca.
COVER AND SIMMER
Lower the heat to medium and cover the pan. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until the cabbage is tender, about 15 minutes.
FINISH THE DISH
Stir in the vinegar and half of the parsley; season with salt and pepper. Top with the remaining parsley.