- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 3 tablespoons butter, plus more for spreading
- 1 sweet onion, chopped (2 cups)
- 1 head garlic (about 20 cloves), peeled and quartered
- 1 32 ounce container beef broth
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 baguette, sliced into rounds
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- Salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
Preheat the broiler. In a stockpot or Dutch oven, melt 3 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook until softened, about 10 minutes. Add the beef broth and thyme, bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Toast the baguette under the broiler until lightly browned; remove and spread with butter.
Remove the soup from the heat, add the vinegar and season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve with the Parmesan and the toast.