- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 4 kirby cucumbers, sliced crosswise 1/4-inch thick
- 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 small red chile--stemmed, seeded and sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, halved
- 2 bay leaves
- A few sprigs fresh dill
- 1 1/2 teaspoons celery seeds (1/2 palmful)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coriander seeds (1/2 palmful)
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
In a small pot, bring 1/3 cup water, the vinegar, sugar and salt to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
In a small heatproof container, combine the remaining ingredients. Pour the hot brine over the pickles. Let cool, cover and refrigerate overnight, shaking every once in a while.