- 1 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 28 ounce can whole peeled Italian tomatoes (with liquid), crushed with your hands
- 5 tablespoons EVOO
- 1 pound pork ribs or neck bones with meat
- 1 small onion, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound Italian pork sausage links
- 1 pound homemade or store-bought meatballs
- 1 large sprig basil, leaves and stems intact
- Salt and pepper
Place a mesh sieve over a bowl. Add the tomatoes; force through to remove the seeds.
In a large pot, heat 3 tbsp. EVOO over medium. Add the ribs; cook until browned, about 8 minutes. Transfer to a plate. Add the onion; cook over medium, 5 minutes. Add garlic; stir 30 seconds. Add the tomatoes; return the ribs to the pot. Bring to a boil, then lower heat and simmer until meat is tender, 1 1/2 hours; remove bones.
While the sauce simmers, in a skillet heat the remaining 2 tbsp. EVOO over medium. Working in batches, cook sausage and meatballs until browned, 8 minutes per batch. Add the sausage, meatballs and basil to the sauce. Cover; simmer until the meatballs are tender, 30 minutes. Discard basil. Season with salt, pepper and sugar to taste.
Transfer the meat to a platter. Serve with the pasta of your choice and lots of grated Parmesan or pecorino.