- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 4 tablespoons nacho cheese dip (jarred queso)
- 1 1/4 pounds ground sirloin (85% lean)
- 4 strips bacon, cooked until crispy, then chopped
- 1/4 cup drained canned diced green chilies
- 1 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- 4 hamburger buns, toasted
- 4 slices pepper jack
- 6 - 8 very thin slices red onion
- 2 small avocados, thinly sliced
- 2/3 cup fresh cilantro leaves
Place a sheet of plastic wrap over an ice cube tray. Scoop 1 tbsp. cheese dip into 4 of the wells. Cover and freeze until firm, about 1 hour. Lift the plastic from the tray. Flatten each cube into a 1 1/2-inch disk and return to freezer.
Heat a griddle pan, a large, heavy skillet or a grill over medium-high. In a large bowl, gently mix the ground beef, bacon, chilies, kosher salt, cumin and a few grinds of pepper; form into 4 balls. Press your thumb into the center of each ball, creating a large indentation; press 1 cheese disk into each. Shape the beef mixture around the cheese disk; pinch to seal. Flatten to form 3/4-inch-thick patties. Cook right away, about 3 minutes per side for medium-rare. Squeeze lime wedges over the patties.
Divide the pepper jack among the bun bottoms. Add the patties, onion, avocado, cilantro and bun tops.