- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 2 portobello mushroom caps
- Half of a 2.2-pound tube prepared polenta (halved crosswise), sliced into 12 rounds
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 2 small eggplants (about 1 pound total), peeled and sliced lengthwise into 12 pieces
- 1 zucchini, sliced on the diagonal into 12 pieces
- 2/3 pound angel hair pasta
- 2 tomatoes, 1 finely chopped, 1 sliced into 12 pieces
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
Preheat a grill to medium. Brush the mushrooms and polenta slices with 3 tablespoons olive oil and season with salt and pepper. In a medium bowl, combine the eggplant and zucchini, drizzle with 3 tablespoons olive oil, season with salt and pepper and toss. Arrange the mushrooms, eggplant and zucchini on the cooking grate, cover and grill, turning once, until the mushrooms are tender and the eggplant and zucchini are golden, about 5 minutes; thinly slice the mushrooms. Add the polenta slices and grill until heated through, about 2 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a large pot of boiling, salted water, cook the pasta according to package directions until al dente; drain and toss with the chopped tomato and the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.
In a small bowl, combine the mozzarella and mayonnaise. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil and grease the foil. Divide the eggplant into 4 stacks, then layer each stack with 3 zucchini slices, 3 tomato slices, some of the cheese mixture, 3 polenta rounds, more of the cheese mixture and some of the sliced mushrooms. Transfer the baking sheet to the cooking grate, cover and grill until the cheese is melted, about 5 minutes. Serve with the pasta.