- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 4 ounces (1 sleeve) saltines
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 8 ounce package white mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 carrots, coarsely shredded (about 1 cup)
- 2 ribs celery, coarsely shredded (about 1/2 cup)
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 large eggs, beaten with 1/4 cup water
Position a rack in the upper third of the oven and preheat to 400 degrees . Grease a 9-by-13-inch baking dish. Using your hands, crush the saltines into fine crumbs over a bowl.
In a large skillet, melt 1 tablespoon butter over medium heat. Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring often, until browned, about 5 minutes; add to the ground saltines.
Add 3 tablespoons butter, the onion, salt and pepper to the skillet and cook, stirring often, until the onion is softened and lightly browned, about 8 minutes. Add to the mushroom-saltine mixture. Add the carrots, celery and baking soda; mix well. Stir in the eggs.
Spoon the mixture into the prepared dish and spread evenly. Melt the remaining 1 tablespoon butter and brush on top of the mixture. Bake until browned, 25 to 30 minutes. Cut the stuffing into squares and serve hot.