- Prep Time
- 2 large baking potatoes (about 1 pound each), each cut lengthwise into 6 wedges
- 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 2 sprigs rosemary, leaves finely chopped
- 5 sprigs thyme, leaves finely chopped
- Grill seasoning
- 2 2-inch-thick strip steaks, at room temperature
- 1 cup pitted large green olives
- 1/2 small yellow onion, coarsely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, grated or finely chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper, 1 tablespoon finely chopped, the remainder chopped
- 1 small green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 small red onion, half chopped, half thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons chopped pickled hot yellow peppers
- 3 small vine-ripened tomatoes--1 seeded and finely chopped, 2 cut into wedges
- Juice of 2 limes
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- Salt and pepper
- 1 avocado
- 1 14 ounce can hearts of palm, drained and thinly sliced
- 1 large bunch arugula, chopped
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees . On a baking sheet, toss the potatoes with 2 tablespoons EVOO. Reserve 1 teaspoon each of rosemary and thyme and sprinkle the rest over the potatoes. Sprinkle with grill seasoning and roast for 25 minutes.
Season the steaks with grill seasoning. Preheat a grill or grill pan. Using a food processor, coarsely chop the olives and yellow onion. Transfer to a bowl. Mix in half the garlic, the reserved rosemary, the finely chopped red bell pepper and 1/3 cup EVOO. Set the olive sauce aside.
In a bowl, combine the remaining red bell pepper, the green bell pepper, chopped red onion, pickled peppers, remaining garlic, finely chopped tomato, reserved thyme, juice of 1/2 lime, red wine vinegar, 1/3 cup EVOO and salt and pepper to taste. Set the salsa aside.
Grill the steaks over direct heat for 3 minutes on each side, then over indirect heat for another 5 minutes for medium-rare. (Or grill in a grill pan over medium-high heat for 3 minutes on each side, then roast in a 350 degrees oven for 8 to 12 minutes for medium-rare.) Let the meat rest for 5 minutes.
While the steaks cook, place the tomato wedges in a bowl. Thinly slice the avocado and add to the tomato. Add the sliced red onion and hearts of palm. Add the arugula and toss the salad with the remaining lime juice, the remaining EVOO and salt and pepper to taste.
Top each steak with both sauces and serve with 3 potato wedges and some salad alongside.