- Prep Time
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 2 plum tomatoes, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 1 8 inch piece baguette, chopped
- 6 ounces cheese, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup sliced fresh basil
- 4 1 1/4-inch-thick boneless New York strip steaks (about 12 ounces each)
In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over low heat. Add the garlic and cook until softened, about 6 minutes. Reserve 1 tablespoon of garlic oil in a small bowl. Add the tomatoes to the garlic oil in the skillet and season with salt and pepper; let cool. Add the bread, mozzarella and basil and stir until moistened.
Preheat the grill to medium. Brush the steaks with the reserved 1 tablespoon garlic oil and season with salt and pepper. Transfer to the grill and cook for 7 minutes. Flip, then mound the bread mixture onto each steak. Cover and cook until the topping is golden and the cheese is melted, about 10 minutes.