Recipe by Grant Melton
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 box (15.25 oz.) white cake mix
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 4 large egg whites
- Butter, softened, for greasing pan
- 16 oz. fresh strawberries
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 can (14 oz.) sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 1/4 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract or vanilla bean paste
- 1/4 tsp.salt
1. Preheat the oven to 350°. In a large bowl, whisk the cake mix, oil and 1 1/4 cups water until smooth. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat the egg whites at medium speed until stiff peaks form, about 3 minutes. Carefully fold the egg whites into the batter just to blend.
2. Gently pour the batter into a buttered 9-by-13-inch glass or ceramic baking dish. Bake until the cake is light brown on top and springs back when touched in the center, 35 to 40 minutes. Let cool in the dish on a wire rack 1 hour.
3. Stem half the berries and place in a blender with 1/2 cup cream, the sweetened condensed milk and evaporated milk. Blend on high until smooth. Pour through a fine-mesh strainer into a bowl or pitcher. Using a skewer, poke holes all over the cake, through to the pan bottom. Slowly pour the strawberry-milk mixture over the top and let it soak into the cake. Cover the cake and refrigerate at least 4 hours or overnight.
4. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat the remaining 1 1/2 cups cream at high speed until soft peaks form. Beat in the sugar, vanilla and salt. Top the cake with the whipped cream. Stem and slice the remaining strawberries and scatter over the cake.