- A drizzle of grapeseed oil or vegetable oil
- 1 cup long-grain white rice
- 1 3/4 cups Imagine Vegetarian No-Chicken Broth or vegetable stock
- 1 1/2 cups (packed) carrot tops and/or flat-leaf parsley and cilantro
- 1/4 cup toasted Marcona almonds and/or toasted slivered almonds
- 3 - 4 tablespoons grapeseed or vegetable oil
- Juice of 1 lime (about 2 tbsp.)
- About 1 inch fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3 tablespoons grapeseed or stir-fry oil (a high-heat cooking oil infused with garlic and ginger)
- 1/2 pound mixed mushrooms, such as stemmed shiitake, sliced, and maitake (hen-of-the-woods) mushrooms, separated into bite-size pieces
- 1 head broccoli--2- to 3-inch long florets thinly sliced, stalks cut into fat matchsticks
- 1 onion, quartered and sliced
- 3 carrots, peeled and cut into matchsticks
- 2 mild red and/or green frying peppers, field peppers or bell peppers, cut into matchsticks
- 2 red or green chiles, such as Fresno or jalapeno, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup tamari, liquid amino or smoked soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 3 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
In a medium saucepan, heat a drizzle of oil over medium-high. Add the rice and cook, stirring often, until toasted and golden brown, about 5 minutes. Add the stock; bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, then cover and cook until the rice is tender, 15 to 18 minutes. Remove from the heat and keep covered until you serve.
In a food processor, pulse all the pesto ingredients until a thick sauce forms.
Heat a round-bottom skillet or pot over high. Add 1 tbsp. grapeseed oil, one turn of the pan. Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring constantly, until browned and crispy at the edges, about 8 minutes; transfer to a plate. Add 1 tbsp. oil, one turn of the pan. Add half the vegetables. Stir-fry until the vegetables are crisp-tender, 3 to 5 minutes; transfer to a plate. Repeat with the remaining oil and vegetables. Return all the vegetables to the skillet. Add the tamari, sesame oil and mushrooms. Remove from the heat, add the pesto and toss to coat.
Serve the stir-fry on a bed of rice, topped with the toasted sesame seeds.