Recipe by Stephanie Izard
This recipe originally appeared in our Summer 2020 issue. Get the magazine here.
Start to Finish: 15 minutes (plus cooling)
Servings: 6 to 8
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 cups fresh mint leaves, plus more for garnish
- 1 lb. fresh strawberries, hulled and halved
- 3 cups fresh lemon juice (from 12 to 14 large lemons)
- Fresh lemon slices, for garnish
1. In a medium saucepan, bring the sugar, 1 cup water, and 1 1/2 cups mint to a gentle simmer over medium-low. Whisk until the sugar dissolves completely, about 2 minutes. Turn off the heat and let the mixture steep for about 30 minutes. Strain the mint syrup through a fine-mesh sieve set over a medium bowl.
2. Meanwhile, in a blender, blend the strawberries until smooth, adding some lemon juice to the mixture, if needed, to help get the blending started. (If desired, strain the strawberry puree through a fine-mesh sieve set over a bowl to remove the seeds.)
3. Fill a large pitcher halfway with ice. Add the strawberry puree, lemon juice, mint syrup, and 2 cups of water (or more to taste). Stir to combine. Pour into glasses filled with ice. Garnish the drinks with the lemon slices and mint leaves.