Recipe by Stephanie Izard
This recipe originally appeared in our Summer 2020 issue. Get the magazine here.
Start to Finish: 30 minutes
- 2 tbsp. pure maple syrup
- 1 tbsp. butter, melted
- 1 tsp. chile paste, such as gochujang
- 1 lb. sweet potatoes (about 3 medium), peeled
- 2 lb. breakfast sausage links
- Olive oil, for brushing
- Chopped fresh cilantro, for garnish
1. Preheat the grill or a grill pan over medium.
2. In a small bowl, whisk the maple syrup, butter, and chile paste.
3. Bring a medium pot of water to a boil over high. Cut the potatoes in half lengthwise, then slice crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick half-moons. Salt the water, add the potatoes, and cook until just tender when pierced with a fork, about 5 minutes.
4. Thread the sausages and sweet potatoes onto skewers (soak bamboo skewers in water for 30 minutes before grilling), alternating between each, until you’re about an inch and a half from the end of each skewer. Brush the sausages and potatoes with oil and sprinkle with salt. Grill until the sausages are cooked through and the potatoes are soft and starting to brown, 4 to 5 minutes per side.
5. Drizzle with the spiced maple syrup; top with the cilantro.