- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 2 beef sirloin steaks (about 2 pounds), halved crosswise
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 6 ounce package cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, smashed and peeled
- 1 28 ounce can crushed fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- Grated parmesan cheese, for serving
Season the steaks with salt and pepper. In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the steaks and cook for 3 to 4 minutes on each side; transfer to a plate.
In the same skillet, add the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil, the mushrooms and garlic; cook, stirring, for 3 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes, 1/2 cup water and the crushed red pepper; bring to a boil. Lower the heat, cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes. Stir in the vinegar, then return the steaks to the skillet and cook until heated through. Serve the steaks topped with the tomato ragu and grated cheese.