Recipe by Rachael Ray
4 boneless sirloin steaks or rib eye steaks (each 10 to 12 oz. and 3/4 inch thick)
Kosher salt and coarsely ground black pepper
About 2 tsp. (about 2/3 palmful) fennel seeds
1 tsp. each (about 1/3 palmful) granulated garlic and granulated onion
About 1 tsp. (about 1/3 palmful) dried oregano
About 1 tsp. (about 1/3 palmful) crushed red pepper
3 green (unripe) tomatoes, cored and sliced into wedges
1 small fennel bulb, quartered and thinly sliced lengthwise
1 small red or white onion, quartered and thinly sliced
1 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley tops
A small handful of fresh mint leaves, chopped
2 lemons, juiced (about 1/2 cup)
3 tbsp. EVOO
Sliced pickled hot Italian cherry peppers, for garnish
2 tbsp. olive or vegetable oil
4 tbsp. butter
4 cloves garlic, grated or chopped
1/4 cup drained capers, chopped
About 2 tbsp. fresh thyme leaves
1. Pat the steaks dry. Season with kosher salt and pepper, the fennel seeds, granulated garlic, granulated onion, dried oregano, and crushed red pepper.
2. Heat a large cast-iron skillet over medium-high.
3. In a shallow bowl, mix the green tomatoes, fennel, onion, 3/4 cup parsley, and the mint; season. Add half the lemon juice and the EVOO; toss until coated. Top the salad with the sliced cherry peppers.
4. Add the olive oil, two turns of the pan, to the skillet. Add 2 steaks and cook for 3 to 4 minutes. Turn the steaks over and cook, turning occasionally, about 4 minutes more for medium. Transfer to a plate. Repeat with the remaining 2 steaks.
5. Reduce heat to medium. Add the butter to the skillet. When it foams, add the garlic, capers, thyme, and the remaining 1/4 cup parsley. Cook, stirring often, until the butter is slightly reduced, about 1 minute. Add the remaining lemon juice.
6. Place the steaks on a platter or plates. Top with the herb butter. Serve with the salad.