- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 4 slices lean, smoky bacon, finely chopped
- 2 pounds ground sirloin beef
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 4 tablespoons chili powder
- Salt and pepper
- 1 15 ounce can tomato sauce
- 1/3 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons hot pepper sauce
- 2 cups beef stock
- Sour cream, for topping
- 1/2 cup finely chopped flat-leaf parsley, for topping
In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat the EVOO, 1 turn of the pan, over medium-high heat. Add the bacon and cook until the fat renders, about 2 minutes. Add the beef and cook, stirring, until browned, 8 to 10 minutes. Add the onion and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and chili powder, a little salt and lots of pepper.
In a bowl, stir together the tomato sauce, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar and hot sauce. Stir into the chili. Stir in the beef stock and bring to boil, then lower the heat and cook until thickened, 6 to 7 minutes.
Serve the chili in bowls. Top with the sour cream and parsley.