- 1 1/2- 1 3/4 pounds strip or flatiron steaks (two 1-inch-thick steaks), at room temperature
- Kosher salt and coarsely ground black pepper
- Olive oil, for rubbing skillet
- 1 box (5 oz.) baby kale
- 1 cup (packed) flat-leaf parsley
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 lemon, zested
- 2 anchovy fillets (optional but recommended)
- Aged balsamic vinegar, for drizzling
- EVOO, for drizzling
- Cracked and pitted green olives, such as buttery Cerignola olives
- Shaved aged Pecorino Romano, for garnish
Heat a large cast-iron skillet or griddle pan over medium-high.
Season the steaks liberally on both sides with kosher salt and coarsely ground pepper.
Using a paper towel, rub the skillet with oil, then add the steaks and cook, turning occasionally, 8 to 10 minutes for medium-rare. Transfer to a plate and let rest 10 minutes.
Divide the kale evenly among 4 plates.
For the gremolata, finely chop the parsley, garlic, lemon zest and anchovies, if using.
Slice the steak across the grain about 1/8 inch thick; fan over the greens and drizzle with the balsamic vinegar and EVOO. Sprinkle evenly with the gremolata and garnish with the olives and shaved cheese.