- Prep Time
- 1 pint grape tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO), plus more for drizzling
- Salt and pepper
- 4 1 inches thick slices crusty bread
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 bunch asparagus, sliced on an angle into 1-inch pieces
- 4 scallions, sliced on an angle into 1-inch pieces
- 1/4 pound green beans, sliced on an angle into thirds
- 4 cups baby spinach, coarsely chopped
- 5 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- Grated parmigiano-reggiano
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees . On a rimmed baking sheet, toss the tomatoes with 1 tablespoon EVOO and salt and pepper to taste. Roast for 15 minutes. Let cool, then mash.
Preheat the broiler, then toast the bread. Rub with the garlic and drizzle with more EVOO.
In a large skillet, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons EVOO, 2 turns of the pan, over medium-high heat. Add the asparagus, scallions and green beans; season with salt and pepper. Cook until the scallions are softened, 2 minutes. Add the spinach and cook until wilted, 1 minute. Add the chicken broth and peas and simmer until heated through, 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in the mashed tomatoes.
To serve, put 1 toast in each of 4 bowls, pour the soup on top and sprinkle with the parsley and lemon peel. Pass the cheese around the table.