- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 6 slices thick-cut bacon, coarsely chopped (about 6 ounces)
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 pound short pasta, such as ditalini (1 1/2 cups)
- 1 15 ounce can cannellini beans, rinsed
- 2 zucchini, cut into matchsticks
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese, plus more for serving
- 1/4 cup chopped basil, parsley and mint
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
In a large skillet, cook the bacon over medium-high heat until crisp, about 4 minutes; reserve 2 tablespoons of the fat and drain the bacon on paper towels.
In a large saucepan, heat the bacon fat over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until softened, about 4 minutes. Add 4 cups water and the salt and bring to a boil. Stir in the pasta and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the pasta is just tender and the liquid is more than halfway absorbed, 8 to 10 minutes. Stir in the beans, zucchini and peas and season with salt and pepper. Return to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are fork-tender, about 4 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the parmesan, herbs and lemon peel.
Using a slotted spoon, transfer the pasta and vegetables to bowls. Top with more parmesan and the reserved bacon.