- Prep Time
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 3 - 4 cloves garlic, grated
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 pound fresh spinach, stemmed and coarsely chopped
- Salt and pepper
- Pinch nutmeg
- 1 pound whole wheat penne rigate
- 4 cups Broccolini or broccoli florets
- 1 cup grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- 2 cups ricotta cheese, at room temperature
In a deep skillet, heat the EVOO, 2 turns of the pan, and the butter over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
Meanwhile, using a food processor, pulse the chicken broth and spinach into a thick sauce. Stir into the onions and garlic in the skillet and cook until heated through, 2 to 3 minutes. Season with salt, pepper and the nutmeg.
Bring a large pot of water to a boil, salt it, add the pasta and cook until al dente. During the last minute of cooking, add the Broccolini to the pasta. Drain, then toss the pasta and Broccolini with the spinach sauce and parmigiano-reggiano. Serve in shallow bowls and dollop with the ricotta.